Ever since 1984, the Latin American scientific community gathered biannually to discuss aspects linked to knowledge on aquatic mammals in these countries during the South American Meetings of Experts Work on Marine Mammals (Reuniões de Trabalho de Especialistas em Mamíferos Aquáticos da América do Sul - RT). In 1994, at the end of the 4th RT in Florianópolis (Brazil), it was imminent the creation of a society of researchers to bring together the aquatic mammal researchers and to give support to the execution and dissemination of its knowledge and conservation, as well as its importance to the ecosystem. So, in 1996, a group of specialists created the "Sociedade Latino-americana de Especialistas em Mamíferos Aquáticos (SOLAMAC)" during the 7th RT in Viña del Mar, Chile.
Paulo Cesar Simões-Lopes, Marcela Junín, Hugo Castelo, Claudio Campagna, Anelio Aguayo, Julio Reyes, Cristina Pinedo, Monica Muelbert, Jorge Urbán, Luis Cappozzo, Miriam Marmontel, Mario Cozzuol, José Yañez, Mirtha Lewis, Vera da Silva, Patricia Majluf.
- To reinforce and strengthen the Latin American scientific community dedicated to the study of aquatic mammals and their ecosystems.
- To promote the study of the different aquatic mammal species of Latin America.
- To disseminate scientific knowledge on the aquatic mammals of Latin America through scientific gatherings, a scientific journal and other means.
- To share opinions based on scientific knowledge and, when necessary, assess in topics related to the aquatic mammals of the area and environmental problems.
- To promote knowledge on aquatic mammals among citizens of Latin American countries and the rest of the world.
- To be a space of reflection of ethical and cultural aspects of research, management and conservation of aquatic mammals and their ecosystems.
Clik here to access here the complete SOLAMAC statute
- Miriam Marmontel
Instituto de Desenvolvimento Sustentável Mamirauá, Tefé, AM, Brasil.
PRESIDENT ELECTED (2018-2020)
- Maritza Sepúlveda
Universidad de Valparaíso, Valparaíso, Chile.
- Ana Carolina Oliveira de Meirelles
Associação de Pesquisa e Preservação de Ecossistemas Aquáticos – AQUASIS, Caucaia, CE, Brasil.
- Mariana Nery
Departamento de Genética, Evolução e Bioagentes, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brasil.
- Jorge Urbán
Universidad Autónoma de Baja California Sur, Mexico.
- Juliana Couto Di Tulio
Universidade do Rio Grande, Rio Grande, RS, Brazil.
- Fernando Ricardo Vieira Lopes
Doutorando no Programa de Pós-graduação em Zoologia da PUCRS, Porto Alegre-RS, Brazil.
Below is a list of all the previous boards of SOLAMAC, which contributed to the growth of our society!
Diretoria 2016-2018Read more!
Board 2014-2016Read more!
Robin Best Award
The Robin Best Award was established by the family of Robin Christopher Best, researcher of the Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia (INPA), after his passing in 1987. This award is granted to the best works presented during the meetings of the society.Read more!
Robin Best Award winners
List of Robin Best Award winnersRead more!
Institutions that support SOLAMAC
The SOLAMAC web team thanks all members who have collaborated with the construction and maintenance of the website by sending photos or posting news! This is the new website of the Society, help us turn it into a benchmark about the study of aquatic mammals in Latin America!